Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

Well it looks like I can keep writing because we have not lost power yet with Hurricane Sandy. I grew up in Florida so Hurricanes do not make me nervous in fact I find it to be a great opportunity to be lazy and sit on the sofa enjoying my families company. I have to say thank you God that I have never been in a Hurricane tragedy and we have usually always kept our power. I know others are not so lucky so my prayers go out to all those affected by the storm.

Now that my lifestyle has changed towards food and my families eating habits have improved it was a bit more tricky for me to think of foods we could have in case of an emergency. I found this great list and would like to share it here.


  • MSG free beef and buffalo jerky
  • Canned red salmon
  • Tins of sardines packed in olive oil
  • SPAM (one of the few canned meats that doesn’t contain MSG)
  • Raisins
  • Dried apricots
  • Dried prunes
  • Dates
  • Yogurt covered goji berries
  • Dried mango
  • Dried pineapple
  • Soaked/dried almonds
  • Soaked/dried cashews
  • Soaked/dried pecans
  • Soaked/dried pumpkin seeds
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Popcorn (for popping on the barbeque pit)
  • Peanut butter
  • Sunflower butter
  • Raw honey
  • Coconut butter
  • Ghee
  • Cod liver oil
  • Paper plates/plastic utensils
  • Plenty of jugs of water
  • 7-8 gallons of kombucha (brewing all the time .. doesn’t need refrigeration) (I am personally not a fan of fermented tea but would not mind trying it again from another source)
  • Bottles of oil for the hurricane lamps
  • Bags of charcoal for the barbecue
  • Lighters/matches
  • Flashlights/batteries
  • Both cars tanked up with gas
  • Wind up radio
Anyway thought this list may be helpful. Please visit The Healthy Home Economist for the rest of her blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...