Wednesday, June 18, 2014

York, England Part Four

We checked out of our hotel Sunday Morning and headed North to go visit some Heritage sights. First stop the Kirkham Priory this place was so beautiful and peaceful. We loved walking the grounds and just imaging the monks and priest that used to live here.

Originally we were supposed to drive to Pickering Castle then head toward the coast south to Scarborough Castle but we really wanted to see the Yorkshire Moors that I had read about in the Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett and I mentioned it here. So we stopped at Pickering for ice cream and potty breaks and then headed further North to see the moors.

I so wish I could have taken pictures of the drive to Whitby Abbey,the  Yorkshire Moors were a sight to see although it was not covered in the purple heather flower I have heard about and then the villages we drove through were magnificent and looked nothing like England but I felt like I was in Italy. After the moors and the beautiful villages we entered Whitby and I knew we had to eat fish and chips here

I had no idea what to expect coming here I just decided to come here because we got to drive through the Moors but this Abbey is by far my favorite of any I have seen so far. It also holds very interesting history, this Abbey is the place that the date was decided when Easter would be celebrated. This is also the spot where Dracula climbed the steps from the North Sea and took his first victim in England.

After Whitby we headed down the coast south to Scarborough Castle the cliff/ mountain that this Castle was on was extremely impressive unfortunately by the time we got there the gate keeper was closing it. We decided to park in the village nearby and get coffee and stretch and check out the beach. It was way to cold to get in the water but adults and kids alike were all in the water. 

Our adventure did not stop there on our way back home after driving for nearly an hour on back roads Ladybird threw up we had to stop give here some water and clean it up. We finally reached the highway and after being on the highway for 15 min our car starts to act funny. Matthew pulls off and our car is no longer accelerating and does not start. My phone is dead, Matthews battery is also on low but it doesn't matter because we aren't getting any reception on his cell phone. A few feet back there is an SOS phone and its probably 8 PM by this time and we are starting to loose daylight. We finally get towed to a nearby service station and now we have to wait for a proper tow to our house 80 miles away. We waited, and waited, and waited for three hours. We finally got home at 3 AM. That was a nightmare but I thanked God because although it was 3 AM when we all got into our beds we were safe and unharmed. It's been a month now my car is still in the shop getting a whole new engine. I am also thankful because when we bought the car we received 9 month warranty well June was our last month. So our car decided to break down at just the right time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...