Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween

Growing up as a child and even young adult I never celebrated Halloween. My parents very early on told my sisters and I it was for religious reasons and we never asked "but why?". We were told it was evil. So there were no costumes, or candy, or door-to-door ringing. As I grew up I learned to appreciate being different from all my peers in that I didn't do the same thing. I considered myself set apart in my Christian faith because I did not celebrate this holiday.

When we got married hubby and I had very different past experiences with regard to this festivity. He celebrated it growing up and I didn't. When we got married, however, we decided to celebrate Halloween. I have to admit that I felt I was celebrating an "evil" day, but it turned out to be no big deal. We hosted a party for his co-workers and I had fun dressing up.

Halloween 2008 winning best costume award.
Then we had lady and it became a whole new story, asking ourselves "will we?" or "won't we?".

Reasons why we wouldn't:

  • I never felt I was missing out on anything well until the next day when I was not eating candy. 
  • Having Ava learn to stand by a decision and not bend under peer pressure. 
  • Avoiding teen parties once she got older.
  • Conforming to my family's thoughts on the day.
  • I am being more righteous by not celebrating the day.

Reasons why we would:

  • Candy and costumes are not evil.
  • It's the one day of the year every door is open.
  • You can be in the world but not of the world.
  • Fun times with family and friends.
  • Seeing lady dressed up is just to darn cute to pass up!

Although we still dressed lady up the last two years, I still felt condemned by celebrating this day. Over lots of prayer, wisdom, and discernment, we have decided to continue celebrating Halloween.... for now anyway.

I have to say this year was much more fun and condemnation free, lady really enjoyed dressing up and collecting candy at a Trunk-or-treat hosted by a local church we attend for Awana.


Getting ready to leave for Trunk-or-Treat.

I am so proud of my hair styling skills. I did this in 10 min with a brush, water, and bobby pins.


Daddy and Princess.


Waiting in line to get to the trunks.

 The trunks were all decorated for the occasion.


Fancy Nancy making balloons.

All done.

Earlier in the day at a homeschool Halloween Party. 

She is such a beauty. I love my princess.

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...