Thursday, August 16, 2012

Blessing Bags

I found this amazing Blog called KWAV's Kids with a Vision and the first time I stumbled upon their blog I found these great how-to post on making a Blessing Bag. A blessing bag is a gallon sized ziplock bag with a bunch of awesome goodies for someone who is homeless. The bags may include but are not limited to: 

Gallon size Ziplock bags
items to go in the bags, such as:
chap stick
packages of tissues
toothbrush and toothpaste
comb
soap
trail mix
granola bars
crackers
pack of gum
band aids
mouthwash
coins (could be used to make a phone call, or purchase a food item)
hand wipes
you could also put in a warm pair of socks, and maybe a Starbucks gift card

We also included flashlights and a few other items that were not listed on the list above.
These are some photos of us putting together our blessing bags.

This is the picture of the front of the bag.

This is a picture of the back of the bag.

I think that day we did about 12 bags.

My favorite part was that the toddlers got to join in and because of these blessing bags Lady is now giving offering at church for those who are less fortunate than we are.


 Thank you to my sweet friend who after hearing me mention it to her one night jumped on it and got all the materials for this round of blessing bags. 


Even the teenagers enjoyed putting together the bags.


After the bags were assembled her family jumped into her van and drove around eager to bless someone with a bag.



Kids with a Vision ministry has such an amazing vision because I have made it such an obstacle for myself to volunteer or serve my community because of my kiddo. Which is odd because one of my biggest desires as a mother is to teach my children how to serve others and to love our neighbors as our self. This was an easy and practical way to begin teaching lady to serve our community and share the love of Christ even at the ripe old age of two years old. I want that service is at the heart of our family and becomes apart of who we are. Thank you KWAV!

Tonight our small group has decided to pick up this service project and we are hopefully going to complete 16 adult bags, 5 children bags and 12 mini bags.  I feel so blessed that I am surroned by a community that will join together. Then the plan is for Sunday after church to go out into D.C. and pass out the bags. I will let you know how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...